Chris Van Hoof's Cozy Mk IV
Plan # 219
Chapter 17 - Trim System Installation
Lots of little parts are made, complete and ready for assembly and fitting ...
So, friend Graham Pick made a Throttle Quadrant for my Cozy, here are some photos:
As you can see the center section can be removed for access to the cable ends.
The RH piece fits into the LH piece and is held there with a single bolt with a pipe sleeve, which is the pivot, as well as the fixing member.
Here it is shown open - to have access to the cables.
Here it is finished and ready for installation.
Chapter 18 - Canopy & Turtleback Section
Same story for the Turtle Deck, Rego had not thrown his jig away, so more foam and epoxy was sent down to PE and Rego made this part as well.
It too, is apparently a lot faster the second time around. :-)
Marking & cutting carefully
Graham Pick doing the windows
We just took the landing gear out and lugged the whole tub to the workbench.
Yes, it made our work easier.
We covered our canopy with a cold wood glue, that protected it for us ...
don't use the chemical smelling one, use the old fashioned stuff. It comes of easy and protects a treat.
Sample pull off to test our theories ... worked, Yippieyay Hooray!
Then we did the shaping of the canard top at the same time, while it was on the bench and we could eyeball it from every angle.
Chapter 19 - Wings, Ailerons & Wing Attachment
Our locally sourced foam looks like this:
We buy locally manufactured Styrofoam in South Africa, thereby saving a fortune in shipping.
(Source Sagex 32 kg/m3)
Because we ordered large blocks, we could eliminate a lot of the joints shown in the plans.
Of course we first did a scale block cutout, so that we would not make 2 lefts or so :-)
and, yes, it could work :-)
Chris & Graham calling out numbers as we hot wire the first parts ... this is more fun than you think.
We took just about a full day to do the wings & winglets. It really pays to do this well, it will save many hours in the finishing department :-)
Both Wings cut & kept in the blocks for protection. All of it !
Graham Pick on the left and Chris Van Hoof on the right
Shear web lay-ups done and fit the D section
Bottom Spar Cap lay-up - allow 4 hours
Uni Lay-ups are best done with two people in attendance, you check each others work ...
Takes 3 hours on the bottom, with two.
NOTE : Finish as best as you can get here ... this will save you many hours of filling and sanding, unless you like that sort of thing :-)
Then if you pick up too much speed, you get a speed wobble, and ours was that we forgot to carve a slot and install the the rudder cable conduit ... on the one wing.
The Unofficial Cozy web group sorted me out in record time (This includes Nat Puffer the designer of the Cozy)
So we manufactured a "drill" and installed the conduit.
We drilled slightly off the path and used a rope to cut a gentle bend for the conduit
Chapter 20 - Winglets & Rudders
Initially there was some confusion because I had misplaced the one template, the web group sorted me out real quick.
The foam has been cut and we did the outside lay-ups.
Cut groove with fancy V shaped (cheap) grinding tool, this allows you to just wedge the cable in ...
We just 5 minute epoxied the ferrite thoroids in place.
In South Africa most communication channels are nearer to 121 to 125, for this reason we tested the antennae lengths over the various frequencies and came up with the following ... use 2 pieces of thin copper foil measuring 532 mm x 30 mm and space 15mm apart, use 3 x thoroids as per plan. This will give best Rx / Tx for Africa (and quite acceptable if you go elsewhere too:-)) Anyway I know zip about radio stuff, but I have friends. Thanks to Peter How for enduring the multitude of questions and his patience in testing the actual antennae (3 off) by cutting 1mm off at a time, while reading and recording his SWR meter readings.
Chapter 21 - Strakes, Fuel Tanks & Baggage Space
Yes, you can make them off the plane and install them later, did not do this myself, but we have cut the parts for this, just in case :-)
prepare for trimming the bottom of the strake, setting out of the parameters.
marking out exactly.
Now set out all the parts on the bench, to prove a point :-), but more in order to see if it all does fit together ... and then we followed the plans exactly !
Blade fitted into woodblock with 5 min epoxy to cut the foam to an even depth.
We "pre bent" our bottom lay-up, by using a wood slat under the leading edge and one above which we weighed down.
Both undersides shown here ... yes, we did the lay-up on the rich side.
Installing the strakes as per plan, but adding tapes to the ribs to get more purchase out of the flox to the top cover.
For the filter we obtained a "Splatter Screen" at the local pot and pan store, cut this up and used the exquisite quality expanded aluminium for the filter.
Fellow EAA 322 Members, Mike Davies (L) and Dereck Lauf (R) came to get some hands on experience. So we did both sides on the same afternoon.
Note : we recessed the fuel caps to get a flush finish on the wing. This we did by determining the position so that "Slurpy" the vacuum cleaner nozzle can get to the filter screen and more or less as indicated on the plan. Then we cut this hole with a hole saw and plugged it back in and 1/8" larger with duct tape. (After the wing lay-ups, we cut thru, it allowed us to round the edge and install the caps with flox as per plan. For this installation we made an umbrella with plastic sheeting and wire from each corner to a central point. That way we could pick up any flox droppings and it worked a charm!)
So we tilted the plane up as much as we could and did the bottom lay-ups. Worked like a charm, but Graham got epoxy everywhere.
And then we tested the tanks and got 24 hours out of party balloons.